Friday, February 13, 2015

MB3: Cassidy Kay

One of our first projects, I chose to write on a controversial subject of tanning beds. I am going to further that discussion/debate to you guys in the blog to see what your opinion is on them. So basically, the use of tanning beds is used by women in their teens and twenties. Why? Because being tan is a fad, or it could be because it clears up skin acne, or maybe because they are insecure about themselves. There are many reasons why some women use tanning beds; it is not uncommon for ladies to frequent them before large events or trips. The pro's: your tan, confident, and acne free perhaps. The con's: You are 62% more prone to skin cancer, your skin could eventually leather later in life, and you harm your eyesight. Weighing the pro's and cons...is the social aspect, or the health factors more of an issue. I can make an easy argument and say it would be the health con's. We are given one body to grow and nurture throughout the life, and the ability to obtain a tan naturally WITH sun screen is as much and more than our bodies need and can handle. The amount of the sun rays in today's environment are harmful unless we take precautions. And wanting to be tan because of a fad, is not worth the harmful elements you put your skin under. Have I ever used a tanning bed? Yes...but admittedly because I wanted to fit in and feel confident about myself. The way we can fix this issue is to make girls confident about their self image in their own skin. Not something they have to artificially alter. I think that tanning beds aren't the worst thing that young girls can get into, however, I believe it is a topic of concern.

1 comment:

  1. I love this topic! I also work in skin care, and I can't stress the importance of UV protection! Some people also go to tanning beds when they are in cold, cloudy climates, and doctors in the past have recommended it as a form of therapy―the body produces vitamin D when exposed to UV rays. If you are truly interested in this topic at any point in the future, therapeutic benefits (if any) would be a great thing to research.

    ReplyDelete